U21 Quarter Final Win

posted 26 Oct 2014, 13:12 by Rod Gorman

Tommy Larkins 1-15

Turloughmore 0-17

Tommy Larkins u21’s are through to the semi-final of the championship after a great game in Duggan Park. Tommy’s emerged   victorious by the slimmest of margins in an epic encounter  played in windy and wet conditions in Ballinasloe on Saturday.

                                 Tommy’s captain Andrew Moran opted to play against the strong wind in the opening half in what proved to be a wise decision. Tommy Larkins started  well and were much the better team in the opening fifteen minutes. There were some great points scored by both sides in a very entertaining first half. Tommy’s had early scores from Jason Flynn from frees and play, the pick of the scores being a wonder point out on the wing off the hurl after a long solo run. Cathal O Byrne also got on the score sheet with a skilfully taken point  from a tight angle followed soon after by Andrew Moran with a great point from midfield. The decisive goal came halfway through the first half with Jason Flynn blasting to the net after a wonderful pass from Shane McHugo. Turloughmore with the aid of the strong wind stormed back into the game towards the end of the first half  with long range points from Sean Linnane, Jamie Holland and Conor  Shaughnessy.  Tommy’s fought hard during this period with Eoin Forde, Cian Noonan and Conor Nevin solid in the full back line. Peter English was dominant at centre back with Kevin Mchugo causing all sorts of trouble for Turloughmore up front. Tommy’s were the happier side at half time, having played against the wind  they went in  level  on a scoreline of 1-08 to 11 points.

                                       The second half was a much tighter affair with both teams upping the intensity levels, fighting  tenaciously for everything. Tommy’s had three or four poor wides early on and Turlough took advantage of this going three points up 10 minutes into the second half. Larkin’s showed great character during this period and fought their way back in to the match with Jason Flynn showing admirable leadership in attack from frees and play. Tommy’s midfield and half back line began to get on top with some fine clearances from Cathal Kelly,Peter English and Colin McCormack . Conor Gardiner moved to wing forward in a move that paid rich dividend as he caught three or four wonderful balls and brought the teams level with an excellent point from play. The closing stages were very exciting as both teams fought tooth and nail for everything. Tommy’s introduced two goal hero from  St.Thomas’ victory,  Owen Hickey into the attack in  place of Shane McHugo who had worked tirelessly. As the game reached the thirty minute mark referee Ogie Moran awarded a free to Tommy’s. Despite the difficult weather conditions Jason showed great composure in converting the long distance free to put Tommy’s one point ahead. Turloughmore responded and with three minutes of injury time played and created a great chance to equalise but fortunately for Tommy’s,  Vincent Doyle’s effort  drifted marginally wide of on the left.

                                The final whistle was greeted with great joy from the Larkin’s supporters. Tommy Larkins  had good performances on the day with Cathal Tuohy in goals,  a strong defence where Peter English and Conor Nevin were very strong down the centre. Andrew Moran had a great game at midfield. Up front both Jason Flynn and Kevin McHugo had excellent games. They were well assisted by Keon, D’Arcy, Shane McHugo and O’ Byrne. Tommy’s can now look forward to a semi-final in a couple of weeks time and if they can replicate their work rate, hooking and blocking they should have a good chance regardless of the opposition.

Tommy Larkins; C. Tuohy, C. Noonan, C. Nevin, E.Forde, C.McCormack, P.English, C.Kelly, A.Moran, C.Gardiner, K.Mchugo,  J.Flynn, S.McHugo, C.D’Arcy, C.O Byrne, S.Keon. Subs  O.Hickey, O.Cooney, M.Hooban, J.Flanagan, D.Fahy, G.Dervan

Scorers; J.Flynn 1.12, C.O Byrne C.Gardiner, A.Moran one point each.