Match Results‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎

Junior A

posted 20 Jun 2011, 06:15 by Rod Gorman   [ updated 20 Jun 2011, 06:16 by Tommy Larkins ]
Tommie Larkins Junior A’s notched up their second successive victory in Ballinasloe on Friday evening last in somewhat fortuitous circumstances having been outplayed for large parts of the game by a strong and fit Barna/Furbo outfit. Barna Furbo followed on from their impressive Junior B success last year by starting brightly as Tommie larkins were surprisingly slow out of the blocks. Indeed Tommie’s were lucky to be only four points down at the break, due mainly to some resolute defending,  and the performance of Michael Garvey up front who tormented the Barna/Furbo defence throughout the game, finishing with an impressive personal tally of 2-02.Barna Furbo opened the scoring with 1-02 without reply.  Garvey replied with an emphatic cath and finish ,having  started in the absence of the experienced Cathal Fahy who was away on an overseas mission in eastern Europe. Points from Conor Nevin and a great Michael Tuohy effort from play kept Larkin’s in touch. Barna/Furbo went in at half-time four points to the good on a 1-08 to 1-04 scoreline. The second half resumed in much the same fashion as the first, with Larkin’s in difficulty in many positions. As a result of the constant pressure Larkins found themselves seven points in arrears halfway through the second half.During this period Barna furbo had chances to finish off the game but failed to capitalise,  due to careless finishing and the  heroic  defending  of Owen Monaghan on the edge of the Larkins square. Barna Furbo would later be left to rue  these  wasted opportunities as Tommies upped the tempo in the closing 15 minutes. With substitutes Mickey Fahy,Declan Larkin and Andrew Moran having a positive impact, the game turned in Larkin’s favour.Garvey goaled again, followed almost immediately by a neat Mickey Fahy finish which left Barna Furbo reeling.Moments later the green flag was raised again as ‘Fox’  Brudair finished sublimely from an almost impossible angle. At this stage larkin’s were rampant with Peter English improving at midfield and the evergreen Raymond Daniels powering into the game at wing forward and Ciarán Fahy coming to grips with the centre back position. Larkins, who  now  found themselves a goal to the good entering the closing stages had to  survive a late Barna Furbo rally before Mickey fahy sealed a four point  victory with a late  point.Joe Joe Larkin’s final whistle was greeted with cheers from  the larkins faithful but  manager Joe Duane will expect a more consistent all round performance in the remaining group  games.